In Vitro Fertilization which is commonly referred to as IVF is an assisted reproduction procedure that has become quite popular in past years. However, despite being common, many individuals are yet not clear on this technique. They are confused about exactly what this process involves, which medicines are usually recommended, or its precautions. This guide will clear any misconceptions one might have in understanding IVF as well as various IVF meds utilized.
What is In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)?
It is the methodology in which human fertilization takes place outside the body, primarily in the laboratory. The fundamental aim is the creation of the embryo, which, once developed is later on implanted into the mother’s uterus.
Delving a bit deeper; the egg is blended with sperm together in a dish and the professionals wait till fertilization occurs. Additionally, the process might sound simpler; however, it involves several vital steps before the meeting of egg and sperm could happen. Have a look at them:
- During the initial visit to the fertility specialist, the professional will not down some important details such as past treatments or tests, family, and health history-for instance. And in the case of the woman involved, the expert will conduct a blood test to examine baseline fertility along with vaginal ultrasound to meticulously comprehend the present condition of the ovaries.
- The male partner will be asked to get a semen analysis performed. This might be done on the same day of the initial meeting, or they even come at a later stage.
- Tests in the shape of a saline sonogram to check for any existing abnormalities in the uterus of the woman and hysterosalpingogram (HSG) to investigate the condition of open fallopian tubes are usually done.
- Just in case the tests have flaws that herald towards polyps, fibroids, or blocked tubes, the doctor is likely to suggest the female patient with reproductive surgery. And when exactly it will be done, it depends on the professional to decide.
- It’s just not the female partner that can have blemishes in their examination, but the male partner also. For instance, if the sperm count is too low that may play a deterrent in the smooth flow of the IVF process, the medical professional is unlikely to proceed any further. To fix this issue right away, the fertility specialist may endorse a testicular sperm extraction (TESE). Throwing irradiation; this surgery is done with the purpose to obtain sperm directly from the testicle.
- If the outcomes of the examination performed on both partners are ok, or any existing flaws have been vanquished, the IVF process can be executed further. The woman is subjected to ovarian stimulation that propels the ovaries to generate additional eggs, in contrast to producing a single egg a month. This can be readily accomplished by giving the female partner a dose of a hormone injection, which will continue for 10 days. For your information, these injections can be administered at home also.
- During this time, the woman is advised to visit the IVF clinic several times for other basic tests like ultrasound and blood work.
- After the follicles become ready for harvesting, the final trigger shot in the shape of injection is given. This abets the woman to release her eggs within 24-36 hours.
- Then the egg retrieval is done in the clinic, which is a simple process of 15-20 minutes. Only the matured eggs are considered for fertilization.
- The matured eggs are fertilized by injecting sperms into each egg so that multiple embryos can be generated.
- Once the injection is performed successfully, a waiting period of 5-7 days is employed for the eggs to morph into blastocysts, which is primarily a stage of embryo development.
- Now, one of the embryos is transferred into the woman’s uterus. The rest of the normal embryos are kept aside that may be used at a later stage.
- If everything is executed well, the fertility specialist is likely to perform a pregnancy test within 7-10 days on the woman.
Which medicines are usually recommended during IVF?
If you are infatuated to know about the medicines utilized during the complete process, the simple answer is that it fundamentally relies on the different stages of the treatment. Some of the common ones are Follistim aq, Clomiphene Citrate, Letrozole, Gonal F, and Menopur-for instance.
What’s the best age to gain the benefits of IVF?
There is no particular age to gain heaps of benefits associated with IVF. However, it is opined that all those women under the age of 35 are likely to achieve better results. This is because; post this age, the quality, and quantity of eggs that a woman produces decreases considerably. As a result, the chances of getting pregnant also diminish.
How much time does it take for the complete IVF process?
A complete full cycle of IVF normally takes a span of two to three weeks. All sub-processes like ovarian stimulation, retrieval, and transfer are included in this. For your enlightenment; this does not entail diagnostic workups. Once the embryo is integrated into the women’s uterus, a wait of 7-10 days is recommended to check for pregnancy.
Some precautions that necessarily have to be taken
- Diet: A good diet plays an imperative role during the IVF process. Try avoiding junk foods, booze, and smoking when you are persistently visiting a fertility specialist.
- Medication: You will be advised of the intake of certain drugs that you must never ditch. For your information, IVF medications in the shape of Follistim aq, Clomiphene Citrate, Letrozole, Gonal F, and Menopur are commonly endorsed during this journey. Their intake should be paid special consideration till the time your doctor has told you to do so.
- Keep fit: While you must indispensably refrain from heavyweight exercises, getting indulged in lighter ones is the essential need of the hour. You may better consult the better professional for additional deets.
- Don’t believe rumors: In an era where free pieces of advice are randomly given by anyone, it is better to always overlook them. For example, your peers might caveat you in the advent of coughing. They may apprise you about the embryo falling out if coughing goes on beyond time. Additionally, some perhaps would also say that spotting is the termination of the IVF process and so on. Well, it’s rather easy to get lured towards these suggestions; however, the majority of these only turn out to be myths. So, the need of the hour is not to believe these. Plus, pay heed to the guidelines set by the fertility specialist for the welfare of your health and the upcoming child.
- Try maintaining your mood
No matter what the situation is, try remaining in a good mood. Keep an incessant smile on your face and don’t overthink frivolous things. To cheer yourself further, reading books that are subsumed with funny characters or watching comedy movies can emerge to be your savior. In short, prefer all those things that bring delight to your face and mood.
To wrap up
For bagging IVF meds online at nominal prices, simply visit the link https://towndrugstore.com/ for an amazing experience. Stay Happy & Healthy!